Look both inside the blog box and outside of it to turn your blog into a visual fiesta for friends, advertisers and customers.
Using different font types, sizes and colors sets the blog apart and organizes the content into easily identifiable sections. Don't make the fonts too unique"those that don't have that type installed on their computer will see a standard font.
Keep heading fonts the same throughout; just make it different from your content font.
- Color Judiciously using an alternate color draws attention to certain points in your blog. For instance, if you wish to note a caution point or a tip, use a different color for the introductory word, such as red for cautions or green for tips. Use those examples in bold font as well. Avoid glaring, neon colors: They often are difficult to read and can hurt the reader's eyes. Use soothing, coordinated colors.
- Pictures Use quick-loading pictures to exemplify the blog entry content. Ensure it's copyright-free or gain written permission before use.
- Icon Ads Instead of using boring text ads, use small banner ads and icon ads instead. You still get potential revenue, but you present the ads in a colorful way that attracts the reader's attention better than ad text.
- Personalize Blog readers often want to know about the blogger. Use an About Me section with the same font and color theme as the blog content. Keep the content there current and truthful. You don't have to tell your life story or post a picture of yourself, but you can use an abbreviated bio or a picture of something that is important to you.
Encourage responses and respond respectfully. Someone may disagree with you, but you can still respond with humor, fact and respect. Exchange always encourages more responses and more readers.
Link your blog to each of your social network sites; link all of those back to your blog and to each other.
- Layout Experiment with alternate layouts; try different column configurations. Use picture sliders or slide shows that rotate pictures and highlight blog posts.
- White Space
Not every inch of a blog needs color. Use white space to highlight, separate and differentiate sections, posts, ads or other areas of a blog can set it apart from the crowd.
Using color? Then use white to bring it into sharper focus. Framing blocks or pictures against a color background can add a dramatic appearance.
- RSS Feeds Allow RSS feeds of your blog; not only does the icon add a bit of color but, and more importantly, it also grants immediate access to your content by subscribers. Consider incoming RSS feeds from others, so long as they present content relevant to yours.
- Contests and Polls Post a few on your blog. They set yours apart and encourage reader input. You can add free prizes, such as movie rental coupons or free downloads, that can increase your readership and may present that one eye-catching addition that convinces people to return time and again.
Use these suggestions, adapt them to your blog's personality or use your own to make your blog visually attractive to readers and advertisers.