Our series, 'The 12 Days of Content continues. Upon this 4th day, we give you 4 tips for creating savvy slide decks.
Slide decks (or online PowerPoint presentations) have become a significant part of any content strategy with the growing popularity of SlideShare. Slide decks are a great way to break down your content so its easily digestible and, more importantly, an effective way to create brand awareness and generate leads. You can create a slide deck for almost any topic; however, the most effective slide presentations have a few things in common.
1. Have An End Goal And A Plan To Get There.
Consider the following questions: What do you want to achieve with this presentation? Is the purpose of this presentation to teach, persuade, or both? Its important that you make your end goal clear throughout the entire deck.
2. Follow A Logical Sequence.
Its always best to make an outline before jumping into the final draft of any project, and slide decks are no exception. Clear and straightforward presentations will ultimately be more engaging and shareable than those that are not. Use an introduction and a conclusion slide to outline the main takeaways of your slide deck, and include only one main point per slide.
3. Take Time To Create An Appealing And Unique Design.
Avoid using standard templates – choose your own fonts, colour schemes, layout designs and images. If you don't trust your own eye for design, ask for a second (and third!) opinion. People will be more likely to share your slide content if has a comprehensive and unique design.
- Use the right images. Remember, all images should be helpful to your presentation, not distracting.
- Keep it simple. The point of slide decks is to make your message more easily digestible. If your slides have too much stuff, or aren't presented logically, no one will remember your point (and, more importantly, no one will share your content!).
4. Optimize For SlideShare.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind before publishing your slide deck to SlideShare (for more information, check out the SlideShare blog):
- To create a SlideShare presentation, your slide deck must first be uploaded in PDF format.
- Double check that all of your hyperlinks are clickable.
- Note that animations cant be translated into SlideShare presentations " stick to basic transitions.
- Include a call-to-action at the end of the presentation to further engage your audience.
Do you use slide decks in your content marketing strategy? Do you have any tips to add? Let us know in the comments.
More content optimization tips will be available tomorrow as our '12 Days of Content' blog series continues!