There are many SEO experts claiming that maintaining a company blog is a great way to improve your performance in the Google SERPs. I have to admit that this is one of the best ways to improve the visitor experience on your website and get more results for your brand. However, there is one common mistake that I usually witness " the company blog gets updated once or twice every month and barely receives any visitors at all.
I think the reason for that is the fact that most of the companies think that they will need a lot of resources to maintain and develop their blogs, so they simply quit them. However, from my experience, I totally disagree and here is my list of the 21 steps you need to complete in order to get the best from your companys blog.
- Choose Suitable CMS " The first most important thing that you should do is to select suitable content management system (CMS) for your blog. I strongly recommend using WordPress, since is the best for blogs, but you can get some modules to your existing one (there are blog modules for both Drupal and Joomla). Although, there are a lot of other blogging CMS, I strongly recommend using the most popular ones, because you can find a lot of information about how to configure them.
- Placement " Once you choose the CMS you want to use, it is time to decide where to place it. There are 2 main options " use a subdomain or a folder on your website. Although, both might seem pretty similar, most of the SEO experts including me, think that the search engines treat the subdomains as different websites, so using a directory on your website seems better from SEO point of view.
- Optimize the CMS " Depending on the CMS you had chosen for your company blog, there are a lot of easy ways to perform onsite optimization (if you are using WordPress, Drupal or Joomla you can find a lot of SEO modules that can help you with that task and also a lot of guides for your to use).
- Schedule New Content " One of the most common mistakes that company owners do is to produce fresh content every month or so. To get the best from your blog, you should release new content every couple of days (it should not be less than 2-3 posts per week). Since this is vital for the success of your company blog, make sure you have someone working on it.
- Get Listed " There are a lot of places where you can submit your blog and be sure that all your new content will be crawled within hours. I strongly recommend using Technorati and Blogged, since those are really powerful blog directories and can pass a lot of authority on your blog. There are also other blog directories, but I strongly recommend using only those related with your niche.
- Get Social " The social networks like Digg, Reddit, Twitter and Facebook are really powerful sources of traffic. If you do not have accounts in those websites, I strongly recommend creating ones as soon as possible. However, make sure you have for friends or followers only people, who are interested in the content you are planning to produce. A common mistake that most of the people do is to get a lot of followers or friends from everywhere and when they share something from their blog no one visits it.
- Make the Visitor Experience Better " No one will ever visit your blog, if it is not designed properly and if it doesnt provide any new information. Therefore, you should consider adding polls, quizzes or social media tools on your blog, since this will make the visitor experience better and you will decrease the bounce rate to your blog.
- Establish Yourself as Authority " Since you are creating a company blog, you should make sure that you are showing the visitors information from professional point of view. No one will be interested in your blog if you are not providing well researched and professionally written content. To become an authority in your niche is not as hard as it might seem " you should only write quality content about your main business activities.
- Get Viral " The viral content is the best way to get more visitors to your blog and increase the amount of links to it with just writing interesting content. Before writing it, I strongly recommend researching the front pages of Digg and Reddit, because that way you will get more clearer idea on what is hot at the moment and what people tend to like. After that you can simply write similar content related with your industry and share it with your social media friends. Sounds simple, right? Actually it is, you just need to find the right content for people to like
Lyuben Georgiev works for one of best search marketing agencies in Bulgaria; SEO PAL. He also loves to write in many popular SEO blogs such as Daily SEO Tip and Search Engine Journal