Here we are, day 2 of SES Toronto and instead of watching some World Cup action, you're reading this post…. I feel so honoured!
We're all in for a treat with this session, which will be moderated by Anne Kennedy of Beyond Ink USA. Our speakers will be:
- Andrew Goodman, President of Page Zero Media
- Jon Myers, Head of Search/Associate Director at Mediavest
- Jeff Lancaster, Managing Director at Outrider
- Matt Rogers, Manger of Online Sales at Google
Does this not sound like a fantastic panel?!?
First up, we have Matt Rogers:
- Acknowledging the fact that Google is releasing new tools and new features at a very rapid rate. While it's certainly difficult to keep up, there are a few new features that Matt suggests you MUST be aware of. Such as…
- A free tool that automatically manages your bids to get you more conversions at or below your Target or Max CPA
- Google will look at a number of variables, determine why some clicks convert and others don't and will bid accordingly.
Impression Share Reporting
- Use to improve quality or refine targeting to increase impression share
- You can increase budgets and bids to boost this metric
- Google won't calculate impression share data for campaigns with less than 10% imperssion share
- Impression Share Exact Match reports impression share as if all the keywords in a campaign were set to Exact Match
- You need to be aware of this! Simple enough?
Next, we have Andrew Goodman:
- We need to step back from our AdWords account and make rational, methodical decisions
- Quite often, our first instinct may not be the right decision to make. We have access to so much data, use it!
- Look to Bid Management tools to set up rules, help to ensure that 'gut feeling' doesn't interfere with rantional thinking
- As mentioned by Matt, Quality Score is extremely important – Pay attention to this!
Jon Myers is up with his Top 5 Tips:
- Budget Optimization – you have converting keywords and non-converting keywords. What are you going to do with the non-converting keywords??
- Google Search Query Tool – identify negative keywords and new keywords to bid on
- Adgooroo, True Visibility – what are all your competitors doing? what should you be doing? Check it out, a very cool tool!
- Implement SiteLinks – peope are finally speaking about this!
- Google Ad Planner and Content Network – use the ad planner to identify placements for the Content Network
Here comes Jeff Lancaster:
- Account Restructure – take your top performers and create 'Hero' campaigns. Rather than focus on the long tail, look at those top performers and see if you can move the needle there.
- Make adding negatives a regular part of your weekly routine (use the search query report!)
- Search Funnel Reports – fairly new reporting feature, gives you insight into 'assists' that lead to a conversion
- Conversion Path Reports – from within the Funnel Reporting functionality, look at the path people take to that all holy conversion
- Test Facebook PPC Ads – yes!!! So happy that he brought this up. Test this, we've seen a ton of success here!
There you have it ladies and gents, some advanced paid search tactics, straight from the experts… go start implementing!