Have you ever tried to Google yourself?
Until very recently, the only people that Googled you were those that wanted to stalk youbut thank you Facebook for eliminating that need.
As a supplement to a resume, many of those that are hiring, use Google to look up a potential worker. Sounds crazy doesn't it? But it's true; it's reported that more than half of employers Google screen their potential employees before they call them in for an interview. So if you are looking for a job, or you just want to improve your web presence, here are some simple tips to help you.
5 Basic Online Reputation Management Tips
1. Google yourself. You need to find out what's out there. If you have a common name, you are going to have to work a little harder to actually get yourself some good web presence. Know what you need to focus on. If you show up, but you also show up with a bunch of pictures from a crazy party, you will probably want to work on getting rid of that.
2. Control what is out there. Start by making yourself a personal website. There are many free sites out there where you can design a web page, but if you really want to make an impact, create your own web page. Don't hesitate to get a web designer to help you design your site. It is going to pay off in the long run.
3. Update your site. Make sure that once you have the site, that you are updating it regularly. This requires you to post blogs regularly. This will keep your site updated. It will also keep people interested in your sites.
4. Create a LinkedIn profile. If you want to be very professional, create one of these profiles. This will be one of the first things that shows up when you are Googling yourself. Make sure to link yourself to different professionals that you want to be associated with.
5. Keep monitoring yourself on the web. You need to know what is associated with you on the web. If it isn't something particularly good, make sure that you are doing whatever you can so that whenever someone Googles you, they find the good and not the bad.
Your web presence is something that is very important. It is almost as important as the resume. Make sure that you are up to date with what is associated with you on the web.
Neltje Ann Grandela is a writer for MyCollegesandCareers.com. My Colleges and Careers is one fo the best resources for you to try if you want to go to the best online colleges.