Running an eco-conscious business is first of all essential if you care about the planet you live on. What is also great is that it can help you considerably in promoting your business and building brand awareness. By adding your company to green directories and promoting eco-friendly news related to your business you will:
- Generate more links: most of these sites will reward your eco-efforts with nice direct free "dofollow" links;
- Manage your reputation: "green" profiles will pop up for [your brand name] searches. People usually react very positively seeing that the company has eco-friendly policy. Besides, being eco-friendly and actively promoting the idea will contribute to the favorable mentions of your SEO company on various green blogs and web magazines.
- Get more exposure: those eco-friendly links will open up your business to those who browse green directories in search for environment-friendly companies
To qualify for almost any of these sites, you don't have to be a manufacturer of eco-friendly products. You can publish a press release describing how you take care about the environment (by using energy star-compliant printers and recycled paper). Alternatively, you can add a green policy to your site describing how eco-conscious you are. All that being said, almost any business can qualify for adding to green directories with some effort and time devoted.
Here are some sites where you can promote your green efforts for free (all of then offer direct "dofollow" links):
|URL||Type||Approval||Add your business|
|DoTheRightThing||Social bookmarking, user generated||Instant (registration required)||Add website|
|GrowNews.com||Social bookmarking, user generated||Instant (registration required)||Register|
|Green Company Directory||Directory||Moderated, fast approval||Navigate to the appropriate category and click "Add"|
|EcoFirms.org||Directory of green manufacturers and retailers||Moderated||Add company|
|Green Maven||Directory||Registration required||Add site|
|BestGreenBlogs.com||Directory of green blogs||Moderated, thoroughly edited||Add blog|
|Green@WorkToday||Environmental news journal||N/A||Add news|
|Keetsa blog||Green blog||Approved by the editor||Add news|
|GreenHackz||Green blog||N/A||Submit story|
User generates sites:
Just register and submit green links, news and resources to share them with community members.
DoTheRightThing is a website that tracks and rates society- and earth-friendly impacts of companies on people and the world and "make it worth their while to do the right thing." Each member can submit a story associated with any business and other member will rate its impact based on the complex scale of ratings. Each company has a profile on the site showing its overall rankings based on all rankings of stories associated with it. You can add your business to the directory and include a nice "dofollow" link back to your website.
GrowNews.com is a social voting site allowing members to submit and vote for eco-friendly news and announcements. The site allows for "dofollow" links to the original article from the story page.
The site was created by a well-known green blog AboutMyPlanet.com According to the site:
When a story reaches a certain growth level it will be promoted to the front page of the "GROW" homepage and eventually might be picked up by our main site www.aboutmyplanet.com
- Green Company Directory doesn't require either reciprocal link or payment for the review. To qualify you must "either be a supplier of green products/services, or have environmentally friendly company policies".
- EcoFirms.org lists environment-friendly manufacturers and retailers.
- Green Maven lists and accepts submissions of green sites in multiple categories.
Promote Green Blogs and Green News
- BestGreenBlogs.com is a directory of green and eco-conscious blogs. It "only features weblogs focused on the environment, green living, sustainability issues, people, places, things and ideas in this directory.".
- Green@WorkToday.com allows visitors to submit links to green news and articles that deal "with the environment and sustainability".
- Keetsa blog is the eco-friendly and green news blog that accepts submissions of important earth-friendly news and unique stories.
- GreenHackz invites people to share green stories using their contact form.
By Ann Smarty, a search and social media marketer running an SEO consulting blog.
Post image credits: ydurs