New research from GroupM UK has provided an in-depth look at the UK search marketing landscape for the first time.
Conducted via Nielsen, the study yielded a plethora of valuable insights including:
- Paid search accounted for only 6% of total clicks from search engines across the UK search landscape
- Number 1 result in organic search gets on average 48% of clicks, but 80% of clicks on brand search terms and 35% on non-brand search terms
- Women click on paid search results slightly more often than men
- As age increases, so does the likelihood of clicking on paid search results
- Airlines, broadcast media and auto manufacturers industries had the highest CTRs if they were among the top three search engine results. On average a #1 search result in the airline industry gets double the number of clicks as a #1 result in consumer electronics
The research, based on 28m people in the UK, making a total of 1.4bn search queries during June 2011, is the first in the UK to reveal click through rate (CTR) by natural search position for both brand and non-brand search terms and how these CTRs change by vertical.
Embed this in your own site - copy the below code and paste it where you want the infographic to appear.