A visual heatmap of where visitors click on your web page is not only a stunning way of looking at your traffic and their activities, but it gives a view of your site that you just cannot get any other way. With one simple glance, you can immediately form impressions of what you've done right, and what you've done wrong.
Crazy Egg was the first heatmap application I ever heard of, a year or two ago, but it's not the only game in town. I've listed 5 solutions that may supply your heatmap analytics needs, with each one having its own unique uses.
The first two are more for the geeky DIY'ers, and probably aren't right for everyone. This is code that you can muck around with to your hearts content, but you do have to have some technical knowledge to make use of them. The last three are for the average webmaster who has no desire to get her hands dirty with programming and code, but just wants what she wants – results – right now.
I am removing the following recommendation based upon a report that these guys are injecting hidden links into your site's code back to various unrelated sites. This can get your site penalized by Google, so this one's no longer being recommended.
ClickHeat (from Labsmedia) (DIY)
ClickHeat is a visual heatmap of clicks on a HTML page, showing hot and cold click zones.
The Definitive Heatmap (from Corunet) (DIY)
- Flexible configuration
- Multiple URL support
- Much faster execution time
- Manual capture is not needed anymore
- Easier to maintain and extend
Crazy Egg offers more than a simple heatmap.
- Create tests to figure out what people are doing on your website.
- Heatmap – A picture of where people clicked on your site. This tells you what's hot and what's not, so you can make change that matter.
- Dig a little deeper and find out where people click based upon the things like: Top 15 Referrers, Search Terms, Operating System, Browser, etc…
- Overlay – Learn more about each element on your page.
- List – Take a look at the hard data. You can also export the information and play with it using your favorite spreadsheet application.
- Blocking – Block your own clicks
- Automatically archived reports – Test results are saved automatically so you can look at them later. We store an exact copy of your page so you can make design or content changes and compare how those changes affect the results.
- RSS and Email notifications
- Live Reporting – With Crazy Egg your reports are always current; no waiting 24 hours to find out what's been happening on your site. * Free accounts have a 3-6 hour reporting delay. All paid accounts show what's happened right up to time of report viewing
- Share Results – Share data with people who matter to you. Clients, bosses, imaginary friends, and people you are trying to sell ad space to. Pick your own sub-domain on viewheatmap.com or reportsection.com, customize it with you company logo, and give your peeps their own login to view your test results.
Price: Plans from $0 – $99/month
More than heatmaps. A Full usability toolkit.
- Improve information architecture.
- Optimize link & advert placement.
- Analyze and Enhance stickiness.
- Test and Refine content & process.
Price: Plans from $0 – $400/month
- Contextual Ad Tracking
- Google Content Network Conversions Tracking
- Track Multiple Sites
- All Standard Web Metrics
Price: $0 – $299/month