Commenting on blogs certainly has both benefits and downfalls:
- It's an easy way to get your name known in the virtual world without having to invest too much time or money.
- Commenting can be ideal for networking or sharing ideas and information with colleagues and potential clients.
- You can easily link back to your website and increase your visibility.
Unfortunately, commenting only can be very limiting and is at the whim of the blog owner.
Your Own Blog
Creating a blog, on the other hand, can be a great way to promote your brand and generate revenue.
- Your blog will naturally draw more traffic to your website because the blog posts will show up in search engine results.
- Your blog is an ideal place to network and share your knowledge.
- Potential clients will love that they can easily comment on your blog posts and get in touch with you.
Creating your own blog will give you a chance to show your customer your excellent customer service skills and possibly even build a relationship with them prior to selling.
Keep in mind, however, that creating and managing your own blog is a time commitment. To successfully run a blog you regularly have to take away time from business, family, or friends, to create posts, respond to comments, or update information.
Depending on your needs and abilities, your best business practice may be to comment and create.
While it has its attractions, commenting is very reactive.
Successful business owners need to be proactive in these times to attract clients. Rather than letting others put their ideas out for all to see, you could share some of your knowledge and show potential clients that you know what you're talking about.
At the same time, you could be commenting on other blogs with a link back to your blog to draw some attention your way.
Using both strategies together could be the perfect solution to boosting your personal brand.
Brian Farrell is the Managing Consultant @ FINDtheCLIENT - a sales consulting organization providing interim sales leadership as well as training, recruitment & sales coaching for B2B sales organizations.