It's in 2006 that Twitter goes live: the year Google buys YouTube and moves into China, the year Facebook opens up to everyone, and the year of Google's Big Daddy Update.
So what happened? And where were you? (Really wanna know? Check these where were you Twitter tools)
- Twitter launches
- People find Twitter inane
- Twitter's real launch is its appearance at SXSW after which it blossoms
- a month later Twitter has 80.000 users
- Dell is one of the first big brands to start to use Twitter. By the end of 2008 they would have done $1 million in revenue via their Twitter sales alerts
- Twitter present at MTV Music Awards
- Short message services blossom and Google buys Jaiku
- Forrester calculates 6% of US adults online use Twitter. Twitter is growing so fast, people like Scoble don't even believe these stats
- Small brands and businesses find ways to effectively use Twitter
- LA earthquake gets covered through Twitter first
- US Presidential elections are fought out partly on Twitter. President Obama was a social media star.
- Facebook wants to buy Twitter " Twitter says no
- Terror attack in Mumbai has Twitter as the fastest news channel.
- Twitter is not just mainstream, it becomes an essential communication tool. Police and fire departments use Twitter to inform the public
- SEO's theorize that links that might not appear as links, including Twitter mentions, are signals search engines pick up on
- 14% of CEO's are on Twitter
- Oprah Winfrey joins Twitter
- Bing adds real time Twitter results
- Google adds real time Twitter results
- The Iran revolution is nicked the Twitter revolution. Was it?
- We're pretty good at having figured out what works for social media marketing on Twitter
- Search engines listening to social signals becomes a fact
- Tunesia's Jasime Revolution is dubbed as another Twitter-aided revolution
- All tweets ever sent are added to the US Library of Congress
- Twitter launches redesigned web site
- Revolution in Egypt. People (also) use Twitter
- For the first time in history, a social media platform and a search engine get actively involved in a revolution. Google and Twitter work together to enable Egyptians to Tweet even though the country is cut-off from the Internet.
4 thoughts on “5 Year Twitter [Timeline]”
Hey there Ruud…as ever you are on top of the #trending# topic…you just need to get this in to a pretty infographic now!!
Thanks for your confidence in my graphic abilities but as you may remember from my How Search Really Works series, my graphics require info to point out what the graphic is 🙂
Comments are closed.