One of the foundational copywriting strategies is to tailor your copy to your customers' buying cycle.
Regardless of the time your buying cycle takes, you need to communicate effectively at each stage to move customers along through the cycle.
This means you need to work your copy in much the same way you work your face-to-face sales.
The Personal Sales Model
Here are the core steps of my preferred personal selling model:
1. Build rapport with your customers by building your credibility and by tuning into your customer's agenda.
2. Analyze your customer's needs in order to find the pain or problem(s) your customer wants solved.
3. Project the possibility of a solution in your customer's mind by "showing" your customer how your product and service will meet their needs.
4. Overcome your customer's objections in order reinforce your solution and close the sale.
5. Deliver on the promises you've made to ensure customer satisfaction, which includes helping your customer implement the solution and achieve the promised benefits.
If you want online sales, you need to tailor your copy to achieve these same goals.